Thursday, July 22, 2010

Beginning to blog....

WELCOME!!!
I'm Jade and I have made my first ever blog... As I write this, I am drawn into thoughts of the movie Julie and Julia..Hmmm, without the cooking.

Anyway I am a midwife in Palmerston North, New Zealand, and work at our local hospital. I also work for Otago polytechnic with training of student midwives in our area. I love my job!! Yes it's work and I guess I'd rather be in Rarotonga, but there is never a time I don't like providing midwifery care. I feel very priviledged to be a midwife.

So, as part of my job for Otago polytechnic I have been enrolled in a graduate teaching and learning course. I have so far this year done an online paper on providing flexible learning and now my second paper is one on facilitating online. I was really excited about this paper as I am really dyslexic when it comes to computers and online stuff! But hey, I'm getting there. And for this course we are to create a blog. ... SO HERE I AM.. BLOGGING.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jade,

    Yes I too was drawn to the same thought, and I love cooking.
    I was a lucky bunny and had a home birth for my final 3rd child, and an almost great birth for my 2nd. Midwives are VIP in my book and I hope if my daughters have children they will a] have a good midwife experience as I did and b] have a home birth if its right for them.

    So there you have reply to your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jade,

    Your venture into blogging is great. I've been a teacher for a life time or two and love that too. I retired from my job in Japan a couple of years back, gave away half of my library and promised myself I'd do something else. Well, I failed and succeeded in that ambition. I'm back teaching but this time with an emphasis on blended approaches so the learning curve is steep.
    I haven't seen "Julie and Julia" but I get the connect.
    I hope you enjoy the next few months.

    Maurice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie and Julia, yes a great movie. Midwives venturing into digital territory is definitely a step in the right direction. Good luck with your new online connected experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jade, great to see your blog! Starpath, you are funny! 'midwives venturing into digital territory' - we spend our time seeking to avoid that in more ways that one! Social media is calling us however, we can do really good things with this, viz the success of the action in regards to the birth centre in Q'land. See Mary Sidebotham's blog for information. I look forward to interacting more Jade and co :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Carolyn I am a great fan of @Starpath because she is doing a PhD in health informatics and using NZ midwives as a case study. I think we're going to be really surprised (and a tad dismayed) by her research findings. For a taster, have a listen to an interveiw I had with her:

    http://blip.tv/file/3561816

    @Jade Welcome to FO2010. I hope you have fun. As you may have realised there is a lovely cohort of midwives doing the course this year as well as a range of very experienced teachers. So I am sure you'll meet some very interesting people on your journey through this course. Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jade,

    I like your blog! I'm new to blogging too. I'm a doula and have three daughters and all three were waterbirths, two of them at home.

    I feel very privileged to attend births and spend time with pregnant women too!

    I also would love to be in Rarotonga, we got married there! Have fun blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jade, I am also new to blogging and I am a midwife in Souhtland (Tuatapere/Te Anau). Very lovely place to be - but a little on the cold side. I lived in Palmerston North for 15 years and my two sons were born there. Its a nice place to be.. Your blog is great!

    ReplyDelete